One of our more recent additions to the weekday lunches, are my homemade sausage rolls. The first batch I started using a Donna Hay recipe, but ended up changing and adding ingredients all over the place, so now the recipe is truly mine....and the family love them!
1 kg mince
1 granny smith apple, grated
2 cups stuffing mix
1/3 cup soy sauce
2 tablespoons tomato paste
salt and pepper
5 sheets of ready-rolled puff pastry
1 egg, lightly beaten, to brush onto pastry
How to :
1. Preheat the oven to 200 degrees celsius.
2. Combine mince, eggs, apple, stuffing mix, soy sauce, tomato paste, salt and pepper.
3. Cut your pastry sheets in half. Do this as you go, so as not to waste extra pastry. Amount
used will vary depending on the size you make the individual sausages.
4. Roll your meat into a long sausage, and place on the long edge of the pastry. Make sure your
sausage goes end to end.
5. Roll pastry over the sausage, sealing and squishing the pastry edges together. Slice into four
6. Place on baking tray with pastry join sitting flat on the bottom of the sausage roll.
7. Continue repeating this until all mince mixture is finished.
8. Brush with the egg, and bake for 20-25 minutes or until golden and cooked through.
Makes approximately 32-40 sausage rolls.